• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Advice on Quota (space & # of files)?

rhianna

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could advise me about managing my
storage space and # of files I have in my present hosting package with 1&1 Hosting. I pay them $10 a month.
I own 3 top level domains.
The Total storage space is 10,000.00 MB
So far Used storage space is 111.11 MB
I'm not too worried about storage space.
I am worried about file allowances:
Total file allowance 262,144
I've used more files than disk space.
Used files 4,599:nervous:

I'm afraid that I use the files rapidly because of my blogs.
What should I do to make sure that I don't use up my file allowance? How can I allocate my disk space and file allowance among my 3 domains? I have
Available files 257,545 but I fear that every time I create a blog entry, that racks up my file use:p
Am I just worrying too much?

Any advice? Thanks.

WTF... I've never seen a host care how many files you have. Where the hell did they pull a number like 262,144 from anyway?

How queer.

Bruce said:
WTF... I've never seen a host care how many files you have. Where the hell did they pull a number like 262,144 from anyway?
How queer.

Hi Bruce, thanks for responding. I bought this hosting package with 1 & 1 in which they boast:
* Includes 3 domain names
* 10,000 MB web space
* 1,000 e-mail accounts
* DNS Management

and they claim no hidden charges. You can imagine my amazement and dismay :eek2: when I logged in and saw a file quota.

Here's an example of 1&1's quota details for Linux Hosting

In addition to my regular site, I love blogging and I think that each time I create a blog entry, the usage ticker for the file allowance is going up :confused4 I'd be very happy with my hosting package except for the stupid file allowance quota details. :p

I never use really heavy files when I create my site(s). I don't host music or programs. I do FTP some pictures. It is very misleading of 1&1 to boast 10,000 MB web space and then to tell me I am racking up the files in my file allowance. Their only mention prior to sign-up is the above and this.

Otherwise, I am very happy with 1&1 as Domain Registrar:classic2:
I've had fun with the PhotoImpact XL SE program they sent for free in a special welcoming bundle (it's easier than Photoshop, I like to use both)
My site (with them) has never been down, but the tears will stream down my face with this stupid file quota. Is one blog entry equal to a file? :cry2:

WideBand said:
That depends on the blogging system, but with a very high probability, 1 blog entry != 1 file.
I'll choke on that :crying5:

I tried deleting a blog file, but I don't even know if deleting a previous blog file actually restores the quota count? I'm not sure what to do about this :confused4

I knew I was being unclear when I wrote that, but I couldn't resist.

!= symbolizes inequality, and by that I meant that it would be weird if your blogging system created an individual file for each entry. Are you absolutely sure it's doing so?

If it isn't, you probably won't hit the 262,144 file qty limit any time soon. I've seen hosts who offer even more storage than 1&1, (25GB to be exact), with a file qty limit of 25,000.

Seems very unfair to me.

Other than that, it's good to hear a somewhat positive “review” of 1&1 for a change.

WideBand -- I believe rhianna's blog doesn't run with database suites like mysql or mssql - rather just individual pages.

Well, then she does have a problem. :(

Would it be too difficult to migrate to a database backed blogging system?

tandoc said:
WideBand -- I believe rhianna's blog doesn't run with database suites like mysql or mssql - rather just individual pages.

Tandoc is right (he usually is - what can I say?)

My blog runs on Blogger
Rhianna's Groovy Tarot BLOG: What's in The Cards? comments more on current events and celebrity gossip more than anything else (my fav. topics)
Rhianna Rhiannapire Blog of a Groovy Vampire is my "Gothic" side where I'll blog about vampire and/or Gothic things/events and I also write about costumes and makeup. I affiliate with many online shops so I like my blog to be on space that I own as many vendors won't credit me for a link on a "3rd party blog:"
"Locations: You may not place Links to an Advertiser's Web site or Web site content in third party newsgroups, message boards, blogs, unsolicited email and other types of spam, link farms, counters, chatrooms, or guestbooks. Publishers using IRC channels, instant messages or similar Internet resources must designate their program as special requiring manual review and acceptance by the Advertiser."[1]
The file quota ties a hand behind my back.

I've been on the road for the past few days, and I'm making a very short "pit stop" right now. I'll get back to you on Monday.

Bruce said:

How queer.
I've never heard of that happening before either. :p

Last edited:
Tree said:
1&1 doesn't sound like a great host. I've never heard of anyone restricting the number of files allowed. What retards.

http://www.bblog.com/download.php uses a MySQL backend.

Would that use less files? The major issue for me is the file limit.

The control panel says:

MySQL Configuration
You are still able to set up 25 database(s).

Is that enough to start the blog you suggested?

Would keeping some photographs/pictures/images in a file hosting service such as Photo Bucket or Image Shack help?

I'm trying to figure out ways to slow down that file meter. This is what it says:
Storage Space
Used storage space 111.15 MB
Total storage space 10,000.00 MB
Available storage space 9,888.85 MB

Number of Files
Used files 4,601
Total file allowance 262,144
Available files 257,543

4,601 is the number of files used since March 2005.
I guess 257,543 is a fair quantity of remaining files, but it just gets me nervous :eek2:

You only need 1 database for SQL based blogs. Also If you host your images on imageshack or another free image host it will help you cut down on the files you host, although I can see this causing a problem as sometimes imageshack does have short outages or slow speeds so your images may not be accessible always.

Wouldn't a SQL database-backed blog still generate files? I'm not sure how bblog.com would be much different from the external Blogger that I use now. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Nope, the SQL database is used instead of the files... it's kind of like using one big file, except not nearly as slow. :)

Yep, that is bascially a database. Databases don't take up any files, not even one.

Storing images remotly could help, but that could slow down your site, or cause pictures to not even show.

With your obsecly large amount of files, I don't know why you're even worried :)

Back