• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

About "General Discussions"

Canuckkev

Doctor Hexagon
NLC
I think of that section as "General Bull----", which half of it is, and I like it. However, the other half may fit better in a "General Internet/Website Discussion" section. Maybe "General Web Development" inside the "Webdesign and Programming" section.

FWS.net is a "web developer" site, but the "General Discussions" section should be off that topic...not yet another section for it.

My 2c...

no question. Half those threads are all about the same thing and incredibly boring. It's also the reason why you see so many people worrying that the post quality has decreased dramatically from times past. There are sections already where all these posts would be deemed appropriate. I think they should be used.

Of course, we are forgetting the universal constant. These people never read the rules of forum descriptions.

I also think we need a dedicated forum for threads like ''The best forum software'' as these keep showing up & are just stupid, I just seen like 3 on the same page & all the same topic.

This has been ongoing for years, but seems to have resurfaced recently. I closed or merged countless threads over time, but it seems it may be time to crank 'er up again :)

People only start those thread for the sake of starting threads. They don't really care whether you like Macs or if you prefer toast over waffles.

Jan said:
This has been ongoing for years, but seems to have resurfaced recently. I closed or merged countless threads over time, but it seems it may be time to crank 'er up again :)

Well, if there were a more "receptive" category for such threads, you wouldn't have to do as much moderation.

Canuckkev said:
Well, if there were a more "receptive" category for such threads, you wouldn't have to do as much moderation.

Well there is a "receptive" category - specifically General Discussions, for discussions which are general and don't go anywhere else.

If you don't like the threads, don't read them. I don't. :)

I don't read them either, but it gets cluttered looking for threads worth reading in there, especially when a lot of them are appropriate for other forums.

Back