• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A lot of free hosts going down?

If you look at their business model and the rates of shared hosting in general, you should actually be surprised that there are still free hosts around!

Well if they're on a cheap reseller account, that will keep their costs down. Dedicated servers are at least $100 with cPanel. Do you think the majority of these free hosts are making money, breaking even or losing money?

It is obvious, free hosting is offered by the companies as an advertisement tool and thus will go down once the host runs out of webspace ...

It is obvious, free hosting is offered by the companies as an advertisement tool and thus will go down once the host runs out of webspace ...

No, not always. Some free hosts are actually in business to provide free hosting - with no plans to push users to upgrade or force them to pay. But I do agree that, sadly, many see free hosting as a get rich quick scheme (which it is not!).

Because no host is perfect. Yet.

When a company provides cPanel, it has downtime. When a company has no downtime, it doesn't have cPanel. When a company doesn't have downtime but does have cPanel, it has very annoying limits and so on...

usually, those free host that close down early is those who do not provide paid hosting at all.

they closed down because they run out of cash as they have not generate income to pay for the server/reseller hosting.

while those who depends on ads to earn, they can't really earn much as ppl prefer to signup on those free host that have no ads at all.

Most free webhosting providers that close after 6 months - 1 year do so for financial reasons.

I divide the free webhosting industry into the following categories:

1) Everything for nothing.

No advertisements, no forum participation, no limits, and no business model.

These hosts are the most popular among users, but have the shortest lifespan. Most close within 3 - 6 months with some lasting 6 - 12 months.

I've taken over several of these before, but the users are mostly leeches that won't even accept advertisements or basic community participation.

2) Mass market.

Basic control panel, limited space, no domain name support, no scripting, forced advertisements, and a paid upgrade path.

Angelfire, geocities, and many others fall into this category.

3) Boutique/niche

Every feature of a paid webhosting provider at no cost with a catch.

These providers often require community participation (forum posting) or some other method to provide quality control while offering almost identical accounts to paid webhosting providers. They can die after 6 - 12 months or live on for years as profitable services.

4) Wolf in sheep's clothing

Free webhosting as a hook for paid upgrades.

These providers exist solely as an upgrade path to paid webhosting accounts. Many close down their free webhosting offerings after 6 - 12 months and cancel any free webhosting accounts that aren't upgraded to paid accounts.

Well, how many people actually look at the Free Webhost Advertising Section to look for a stable webhost?

If i'm personally looking for a stable free webhost to settle in, i'd settle for one with good reviews. Not one which advertises using 3 accounts the same company 3 times in a day.

Though i've never started a Free WebHost before, i've been handling Free Webhosting for quite awhile now. Definitely know not to waste time making fancy ads. Building a reputation is more important. ;)

Just my few cents.

Thanks!

ive been running a post for host gaming / forum help web site for a long time now
its none profit its been a hobby of mine for a long time and i love it
i have 12k members on my forum but gota say ill be around for along time to come
as u can see by goggling my forum name :)

MrPeanut420,
no offense, but i think u should get a legit WHMCS license if you wanted to stay long in the hosting business.

from wat i see, ur host does really match wat it named, nulled.
coz the WHMCS you are using is nulled ones.

CS_Squad, if it's really nulled, you should report the poster to WHMCS. There is no sense in illegally using a piece of software which can be leased for as little as $13 per month. Obviously, this is not a very serious host we're talking about here.

CS_Squad, if it's really nulled, you should report the poster to WHMCS. There is no sense in illegally using a piece of software which can be leased for as little as $13 per month. Obviously, this is not a very serious host we're talking about here.

already reported, lol
but it seems like he is proud of running a nulled script as he keep on advertising his nulledhost.info here
hahahaha

Its the same kind of trend. A free host opens up around January-March and will usually close down before September. Some host fail because of either lack of advertisement, or they eventually are low on funds.

Post2Host usually goes down because lack of activity. Some people are usually glad when they see an Admin or the owner in charge of the hosting active because it shows that he cares about his business. Not trying to offend anyone but usually post2host owners think that by just creating a forum with few threads will attract many members to post and the owner takes a long break from posting thinking that everything will run by itself with Moderators trying to take care of the forum.

Its the same kind of trend. A free host opens up around January-March and will usually close down before September. Some host fail because of either lack of advertisement, or they eventually are low on funds.

Post2Host usually goes down because lack of activity. Some people are usually glad when they see an Admin or the owner in charge of the hosting active because it shows that he cares about his business. Not trying to offend anyone but usually post2host owners think that by just creating a forum with few threads will attract many members to post and the owner takes a long break from posting thinking that everything will run by itself with Moderators trying to take care of the forum.

Actually free hosts usually fold because the person who started it loses interest.

It usually has absolutely nothing to do with lack of advertisement or low funds. Free hosts that close because of low funds probably overspend since you can get a perfectly fine VPS for around $10 - $19 if you look in the right places.

Nobody is going to want to post on a forum with nothing on it. Active members is key on post2host.

Just my own two cents.

Back