• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beggars hate me.

Nick

NLC
Does anyone else live in a city where it is an every day occurrence for someone to come up and beg for money or even worse, try to "trick" you into giving them money? Well, let me tell you, I have run ins these people at least four or five times a week and it seriously pisses me off. Unfortunately for them, I'm not a nice person when it comes to these things.

In fact, I'll be honest, I'm a huge ---- about it. I'm at the point where I just make a huge scene so this person just leaves the immediate area all together. If you come up to me begging for money, especially if you're pushy about it, I am going to tell you exactly what I think about what you're doing, where I think you should go, and if you have any particularly interesting characteristics (strong stench of booze, track marks on your arms, etc) I'm going to make a point to bring lots of light on the subject. Granted I wont be yelling, but my booming voice is easily heard within a 50 foot radius.

Yes people stare and no I don't care in the least bit. Maybe I'm just crazy, but as many times as I have to hear "hey man, I'm a navy vet here's my ID [quick flash, not long enough to see] I need five bucks to ride the bus to the veteran's hospital", they should be lucky that me being a jerk is the worst that's happened.

I'd post what I said to the guy who came up to my car while I was in a drive-thru pounding on my trunk asking me to buy him a sandwich, but it's a bit graphic for FWS.

/rant

Oh do tell..I live in the suburbs so there's not really much of that here, but whenever I used to go downtown for games (hockey, basketball, baseball etc) or for some other reason..we'd see em around, especially by the skyway (goes from the subway station to the Air Canada Centre and the Skydome (SCREW YOU ROGERS)) most of them just sitting there with signs, some would have good lines but I never had spare change. Besides, you could always tell those who were faking it:
-Tim Horton's cup is too new and not worn enough
-Clothes aren't battered/too new
-Shoes especially
-Most have scraggly bears, look unclean, teeth etc...any of this missing is suspicious
-Sign is too neat/on fresh cardboard etc

Obviously not all is a telltale sign, but multiple is a flag..plus, there's jsut too many people faking it, I don't bother. It's a shame for the situation..but I mean come on, get off the street and get a job at McDonalds, you'd make more than on the street. Most people who live on the street deserve to, there are a few who really don't (IE: those who were born on the street, or lost to natural disaster/family disaster) but those are the ones who register for charity help, try and help themselves...not go around begging for money and then spending it on booze or drugs.

Pisses me off.

If I get well off enough that I have a bit of cash laying around when I'm older..I'd like to start a program to help people get minimum-wage jobs. Get them on their feet so they can support themselves. The whole fish analogy.

And it's not even that bad up here, Canada, Ontario especially, has pretty low unemployment rates compared to some states in the US.

Come to Canterbury, you cant walk 100 feet without a beggar asking for money. Actually. On second thoughts don't. You get stabbed by our beggars.

PS: Anyone ever been to Canterbury before? Know what I mean? :p

Corazu,

I should just add. Begging in the united kingdom, and the united states, is one of the most well paid "Jobs" you can do.

We have a family in England that was on the TV a few years ago, millionaires by begging, and they do it day after day to get more. Its their "full time job". Its a family of 4 (2 Children in their early teens). They have a large house, and a very nice car.

Just goes to show you. Most are faking and dont need the money, but some are not, and do. But the ones that do, just spend the money on drugs and booze.

I get it nearly every day. One day I was in Little 5 Points with a friend of mine and we were walking to a cafe that rented hookahs. We were about 1/4 mile away and this homeless-looking guy starts following us and attempting to converse. We're both generally nice people so we talk to him. The guy's obviously following us in an attempt to get money, food, etc. When we're about 20 feet from the place he mentions that he can tell us where anything is in Atlanta no problem, he has the city memorized. And he also asks for a couple of dollars we can spare ... so we inform him we live here and also know the city. He just had this dumbfounded look on his face. I offered to buy him a sammich at the coffee shop / deli next door in lieu of crack money and he accepted.

Also, I live a few exits away from North Avenue on 85. So I go to The Varsity like once every week or two with friends. Every freakin' time I go on the way back to the car I'll get approached by 3 or 4 people wanting change and telling me "be safe on the way back out the city when ya goin home!".

Everyone thinks I'm a tourist/suburbanite.

Happens all the time here. Mainly junkys tho.

Usually, i just give em a dirty look and they know not to ask, im not to most friendly looking guy :D

The latest incident:
I walk out of the Tattoo shop, and some guy starts muttering stuff to me. I cant understand a word he saying, but i figure he wants cash. I told him to p|$$ off and kept walking.

I get about 5 meters away, and i realise hes following me, so i stopped, turned around and said "look man, i aint giving you ----, now F##k off!"
Guy come right up to me, stops litterally an inch from my face and said a few more words i couldnt understand, and took a swing at me.

Well, i been doing kickboxing for somthing like 9 years now, i saw it coming and weaved. Pushed him and he went --- over tit onto the ground, at wich point i just walked away.

I have no problem with beggers if they are just down on their luck, but people like this guy, who was clearly a junky, screw peoples generosity up for all...

You guys are on like a whole different level of swearing over there.
lol... its aussie talk for "he fell over" :p

I would be, too, if I were stuck in a late-80s television show.

I resent that, we have the latest shows over here. Why just last week, i watched the pilot for the latest series, Knight Rider...

Here in Darwin we have the indiginous people begging. The councils are slowly cleaning them up. If they aren't begging for smokes, they are asking for $2 for the "bus" (in reality accumulated it to buy a cheap cask of wine). One old guy approached me once for $2 to get a bus to the hostpital cos he was "really ill", I went to my bag and pulled out a mobile phone. I said, you just sit yourself down here and I'll call an ambulance for you :D He walked away!

Here in Darwin we have the indiginous people begging. The councils are slowly cleaning them up. If they aren't begging for smokes, they are asking for $2 for the "bus" (in reality accumulated it to buy a cheap cask of wine). One old guy approached me once for $2 to get a bus to the hostpital cos he was "really ill", I went to my bag and pulled out a mobile phone. I said, you just sit yourself down here and I'll call an ambulance for you :D He walked away!
What is the situation like in other parts of Australia? Mainly Melbourne and Sidney. I'll be there fairly soon and want to know what to expect. :p

Some of the other guys might be able to aswer that as I haven't lived in Sydney and it's been many years since I lived in Melbourne briefly. In Hobart, about the only time I was approached was for someone wanting a cigarette and more often than not they offered to pay for it.

The latest incident:
I walk out of the Tattoo shop, and some guy starts muttering stuff to me. I cant understand a word he saying, but i figure he wants cash. I told him to p|$$ off and kept walking.

I get about 5 meters away, and i realise hes following me, so i stopped, turned around and said "look man, i aint giving you ----, now F##k off!"
Guy come right up to me, stops litterally an inch from my face and said a few more words i couldnt understand, and took a swing at me.

Well, i been doing kickboxing for somthing like 9 years now, i saw it coming and weaved. Pushed him and he went --- over tit onto the ground, at wich point i just walked away.

This was in Melbourne.

In the UK its easy, give to big issue sellers and no-one else. If they're selling the big issue they are definitely homeless, but more importantly trying to do something about it.

Come to Canterbury, you cant walk 100 feet without a beggar asking for money. Actually. On second thoughts don't. You get stabbed by our beggars.

PS: Anyone ever been to Canterbury before? Know what I mean? :p
Been there 5 years ago as a student, didn't meet one.

Anyway, when a beggar asks me something, I let them tell their story. When they need money for food, I give them my sandwiches (90% denies it and tells me to piss off). When they keep on begging, I do this :
(I tell this very slow, loud and clear)
You know it's forbidden to beg? ... I'm taking my cellphone right now ... I'm calling the cops ...

I still have to meet the first beggar that doesn't leave. If they wouldn't leave, I'd defenitly call the cops.

Heave Hammering: Yeah, around here when I offer food almost everyone will start thanking me over and over again and say "God bless!" a few times. I also go downtown with my Dad every few weeks and hand out clothes and such. I've only run into one person who refused my offer to buy them food when they asked for money ... Poverty's a big problem in Atlanta, unfortunately. It's a little bit depressing when you realize they aren't junkies trying to get their quick fix and they really do need some help.

Now, that's not to say there aren't Junkies here. There are plenty ... I'm walking distance from Crack/Smack Alley ...

Back