• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Winbuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also starcraft you should also know what you're talking about before you say it.
starcraftmazter said:
Yeh, n00bs who use ASP and MSSQL.

ASP is a non Microsoft product. ASP .NET is however. ASP is reverse compatible meaning you can run on either Windows or Linux. MSSQL is a Microsoft Database, but sometimes one of the microsoft database systems is just the best solution.

Stop being a microsoft basher and get on with your life.

I don't know what the hell your doing with windows.

Throwing it in a bin, and burning it.

I've been using it for years and I've never gotten any viruses. I've also used windows and installed them on other machines, I've never had a problem with Viruses. The only time I've seen people get Viruses/spyware is when they don't know what their doing and download something that had it attached.

I'm very happy for you, but you don't need to download anything to get a virus on windows.

There are Viruses for Linux, just not as many.

That's an understatement. Not only are there a googleplex times less, you never have to worry about them.
I've been using linux for months without any kind of security software, and had no problems.

With windows, I needed Zonealarm PRO, configured to insane settings, PC-Cillin, configured to insane settings, slowed down my system since it had to scan every file, since viruses could be anywhere, had to update both all the time, specifically the anti-virus, which is a real pain.

Linux? Nothing, don't have to do squat, just not applicable.

You know why? Because no one bothers to write viruses for linux

Yeh, because they wouldn't get anywhere. You can't just write a virus for linux. Where would it copy itself? How could it put itself on startup? How could it send itself to other machines?

It can't, because none of that and more is possible with linux, since it's so secure.

The reason why there are fewer viruses for linux, is because you can't get a virus to do much on a linux box, you just can't. Linux is too secure of an OS.

Using Linux as a webserver, I know there are holes in the Kernal and those holes have to exploited before, thats why there's patches all the time for the different versions of Linux being used as webservers.

All the time? No, that's windows, I can't remember the last kernel patch. Unlike windows, where you get like 100 updates every month. And that's the other thing, M$ doesn't release updates when they can, but only when they feel like it, which means there could be a fix for your problems, but they won't give it to you, because they don't feel like it.

The Kernal is not flawless(I've had trouble with it on webservers) and the permissions, like windows, can get you in trouble, if you don't know what your doing.

You'd have to be literally retarded to not know what you're doing. I could explain permissions to a child in 2 minutes....scratch that - 1 minute.

Star, I've been running windows for years now mostly without the firewall(although its always smart to have a firewall up) or anything else and I've never had a problem either.

I'm very happy for you.

Linux, like windows, has its share of problems, its not flawless and its not God's modern-day gift to humans. For webservers I prefer Linux because I'm used to the LAMP setup, although ASP.NET is attractive so I do have a shared windows account.

ASP is utter crap and slow as anything. PHP is heaps faster.
And trying to compare windows problems to linux problems will get you nowhere.
For every 1000 problems with windows, there is 1 for linux.

In a recent study by PC magazine, it was found that Linux had just as many security flaws as windows while reporting that MAC OSX and FreeBSD were significantly safer than Linux or Windows.

That's because Microsoft paid them to write that.

By the ways MSSQL is a little better than MYSQL, but most big companies usually use Oracle. MSSQL has a few handy function that MY doesn't. For my purposes right now though, the two are identical.

MSSQL is nowhere near MySQL, MySQL 5.1, is as good as Oracle 9i, and nothing comes even close to that, except Oracle 10i.

Haha, that's funny you know. Last time I installed linux on my computer I had to install a windows driver wrapper to make my wireless card work with it. And then wrestle for hours to configure the damn thing.

I assume people won't use crappy wireless stuff. If you want to you install a driver...no big deal, windows does it too, some distros don't require you to, SuSE does it automatically from memory, if you have the wireless-tools package installed, which is a 10 second thing to do, YaST does everything, including configuration.

1. - I think you'd better research that one a bit more.

You do, since you disagree with the truth.

2. My first linux desktop went south as X wouldn't recognise a basic gfx card, had to manually set everything and even then it bailed on login.

In the past, windows didn't even recognise USB devices automatically...what a ----ty thing. Now what's your point?

3. 'star' your doing a great job of looking a complete plank! Much better than linux could have did it....................

Keep up the insults, just shows how scared and insecure you feel.

NO, google use Google OS

.....why do you people know nothing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platform

Installing ubuntu in VMWare, doesn't look bad considering it's free. Don't think I'd switch from Vista for it though.

You should, Vista is the most insecure OS ever.

Vista's kernel has already been hacked, anyone can place a rootkit on your comp, and you would never be able to find out:
http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2042641,00.asp

Also starcraft you should also know what you're talking about before you say it.

I do, nobody even uses asp anymore, all of the requests I see are for aspx. When I'm talking about ASP, assume it's ASP.NET, I never have anything to say about ASP, k?

Stop being a microsoft basher and get on with your life.

Ummm....that is my life, ok?

Well i used linux ( edubantu ) it is nice as said its free , but win and macos are better coz they are premium!

Yeh, a premium VIRUS & CRAP MAGNET

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeh, because they wouldn't get anywhere. You can't just write a virus for linux. Where would it copy itself? How could it put itself on startup? How could it send itself to other machines?

It can't, because none of that and more is possible with linux, since it's so secure.
So rootkits for linux are just an illusion right? Afterall, where would it hide itself?

I assume people won't use crappy wireless stuff. If you want to you install a driver...no big deal, windows does it too, some distros don't require you to, SuSE does it automatically from memory, if you have the wireless-tools package installed, which is a 10 second thing to do, YaST does everything, including configuration.
That was on SuSE. Yast detected it allright, but it wouldn't work without the driver wrapper.

Umm, I was talking about viruses....not rootkits.
Not much of a difference. Code a rootkit to actually do some damage and you've got a virus.
Either way a rootkit is still exploiting linux's oh-so-great security, which you seem to be saying is imposible to penetrate :)

Well you installed it, and it worked, I see no problem.
Yes it did. No problem either. It was an example that what you said about linux installing everything automatically is not 100% true.

Not much of a difference. Code a rootkit to actually do some damage and you've got a virus.
Either way a rootkit is still exploiting linux's oh-so-great security, which you seem to be saying is imposible to penetrate :)

Getting a rootkit is very hard, or even impossible, somebody has to plant it there on linux, and at least it's (well most of them) are detectable by certain free software, but on windows, it's not even possible to detect them, as is said in the link I posted just above.

Yes it did. No problem either. It was an example that what you said about linux installing everything automatically is not 100% true.

Well if it's something exotic like wireless it may not be fully automatic, but anything mainstream is.

I've never had to manually install anything on linux when I didn't want to (as in specifically manually, rather than auto).

Originally Posted by Decker
1. - I think you'd better research that one a bit more.

You do, since you disagree with the truth.
Maybe you should have googled for the info, maybe if google tell you what they use then you'll believe them, multiple OS & DB systems, including bespoke systems written by google themselves. So they don't run soley on linux & MySQL - shame you we're too thick to look it up.

Quote:
2. My first linux desktop went south as X wouldn't recognise a basic gfx card, had to manually set everything and even then it bailed on login.

In the past, windows didn't even recognise USB devices automatically...what a ----ty thing. Now what's your point?
A USB hub and a gfx card are a whole different story, and this was before USBbefore USB was even out, even now hardware often needs drivers/wrappers installed as they are not automatically supported. PS wireless isn't exotic - welcome to the 21st century.

Quote:
3. 'star' your doing a great job of looking a complete plank! Much better than linux could have did it....................

Keep up the insults, just shows how scared and insecure you feel.

:lol: intellegent response - not! Get new batteries for that calculator your running linux on, then learn a new word each day (just one don't tax yourself) - todays word 'sarcasm'
Me I'm happy and secure - as are my systems :evilb:

So they don't run soley on linux & MySQL - shame you we're too thick to look it up.

I never said they SOLEY run on linux and mysql, I'm sure they don't force what their employees use, but all of their 200,000 servers are linux and their database system for their search engine (and other things too logic would follow) is mysql.

Quote:
A USB hub and a gfx card are a whole different story, and this was before USBbefore USB was even out, even now hardware often needs drivers/wrappers installed as they are not automatically supported. PS wireless isn't exotic - welcome to the 21st century.

No they weren't. I don't know what kind of support linux had for gfx cards in the past.....but it's no worse than windows now. I certainly never needed to install anything.
If you have a high-end videocard, you SHOULD install the proper drivers, but that principle isn't unique to linux.

As for wireless, it's the biggest load of crap, and so I believe it's exotic, because there's no reason why anyone should use wireless if they have a wired option.

intellegent response - not!

Considering that's coming from a person who said,

"your doing a great job of looking a complete plank! ",

It means so much.....

ROTFLMAO First bit - not talking about the employees, talking about google, now you've changed to
but all of their 200,000 servers are linux and their database system for their search engine (and other things too logic would follow) is mysql.
still wrong !!!

Second bit - do you read what you write? Already said 'basic' gfx card. Why use wired when wireless does the same job? Can't wait till they take your wires away, what will you use then as
As for wireless, it's the biggest load of crap

You really don't do yourself any favours, go bleat on your site, you don't need MS well they must be gutted, Bill will be crying into his tea. :lol:

Anyhow, I tried this application and it didnt work very well. Actually I had to reformate my computer after using it (new XP formate of course).

It messed up some of the files on the computer, even though I did exactly what was told.

I lol'ed at Starcrafts long bashing anything that moves post :D

How you doing decker?

ROTFLMAO First bit - not talking about the employees, talking about google, now you've changed to

I didn't change anything, I was under the impression you were thinking about the employees, which I never talked about.

still wrong !!!

I know you're wrong....

Second bit - do you read what you write? Already said 'basic' gfx card.

??

Why use wired when wireless does the same job?

Are you kidding me? Security, Speed, Interference, requirement of batteries in some cases.

You really don't do yourself any favours, go bleat on your site, you don't need MS well they must be gutted, Bill will be crying into his tea. :lol:

?? Most of what you say makes so little sense.

Anyhow, I tried this application and it didnt work very well. Actually I had to reformate my computer after using it (new XP formate of course).

It messed up some of the files on the computer, even though I did exactly what was told.

What's this?

We'll all chip in for a bigger shovel - to help you dig the hole.

Starmumbleteencrapname - making open source and especially linux less inviting if that is the community you'd be joining....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back