• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

xenForo it is!

I'd be interested in finding out exactly what you don't like about the new forum.

The style you began with was horrible, so I reverted it to the default, which helped a bit... but I still don't like it. It's just too damn "floaty" feeling. But anyway, for starters, I'm so used to vB that I don't know where anything is. I don't like that our rep meter is gone. I don't like that the forum no longer shows our join date. As far as the software itself goes, I don't like the lack of available plugins compared to what's out there for vB. I agree that vB5 turned out to be a giant piece of shit, but I'm still holding out for a turn around and as far as my site is concerned, we'll continue running vB4 for the time being.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the new theme, but I guess I'm in the minority on that? I don't like the traditional standard look of vB and xenForo. We might add some more themes for members to choose from. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Rep meter has been replaced with likes and trophy points. You can now click those points to see exactly what that member did to earn the trophy points. I'll see if there's a way to add a rep meter or something similar.

Join date is visible if you click the avatar. It might be possible to add it where it was on vB. I'll look into that.

I like the new theme, but I guess I'm in the minority on that?

It's starting to grow on me. :p

Rep meter has been replaced with likes and trophy points. You can now click those points to see exactly what that member did to earn the trophy points. I'll see if there's a way to add a rep meter or something similar.

I do agree with Deep on the rep system. The likes and trophies unfortunately don't denote the folks with negative rep. anymore. Was definitely useful seeing who the idiots are, and avoiding them, i.e. when making offers, etc. I think there's an add-on out there that does similar, but not 100% sure.

Join date is visible if you click the avatar. It might be possible to add it where it was on vB. I'll look into that.

Style Properties -> Message Elements

Replacing one system for another doesn't make any sense. Take a look here at what we have on our forum:

I have the standard vB rep meter, but it's tied in with a plug in and the amount of rep points you have is based on the amount of "likes" your posts get. Then we also have trophies, which was a feature that I actually wrote myself, and it awards you trophies/badges based on your forum activity. 5000+ posts will earn you a trophy. A 500+ point forum rep will gain you a trophy, etc. Then I also wrote another feature to expand on vB's option to show your instant messenger icons, by allowing you to enter your user IDs for other popular social networks, like: youtube, facebook, myspace, linkedin, etc etc etc.

sn95forumspostexample.png

On mobile, all these bells and whistles are stripped away, but it seems like sacrificing functionality isn't the right thing to do and I know this new forum just doesn't cut it for me because a lot of the stuff I've grown to like and enjoy just isn't there anymore. Your forum... your call.... I'm just pointing out my feelings on it. Take it with a grain of salt.

I'm OK with change as change is always good. It gets people's attention, BUT of course may loose some people's attention too. At any rate, I think you need to write something really engaging for the main index page. To explain what has been happening. It took me some time before I could recognize the place, thought you'd sold it to a tacky free host or something, as that page could do with mega improvement even for a tacky free host. Definitely not becoming the FWS we know. Sorry, I'm looking for something really good to say, but can't find much. Except never been with xenForo before. And it does look interesting.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm working on the frontpage, so there should be some improvements over the next few days. There's a short text about the changes, but I'll update that with a full blog post.

Had to switch to the default XenForo theme, as the set default one for this forum is plain ugly (no offense)! I think you should have kept the same styling as the old forum. Black and gray is never a good choice for a theme - unless it's relevant in some way.

The main website and the forum also do not link up that well. The breadcrumb navigation links back to the main website every time, when I want to go back to the forum homepage index. It should be Home > Forum Home > Current Page. Right now it's Home > Current Page. So if I change anything in my profile, I go all the way back to the main website, which looks like a totally different website to the forum. The link back to the forum on the homepage is also not prevalent and requires you to search for it on the page. It shouldn't be that complicated!

I think you should revert the homepage to whatever theme was being used before as the current one isn't very nice (if I'm honest).

My 2 cents.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll see if we can improve the navigation.

Maybe we can have a poll to see which theme members would like to see as the default FWS theme. The current grey one or the XenForo default theme.

I like the grey theme, but I'm fine with the default XenForo theme too. The problem with the default theme is that every other forum has the same theme and that's boring. My concern with the current grey theme is that text links in regular posts is very hard to distinguish from normal text.

I've just upgraded xenForo to the latest version (from 1.4.5 to 1.4.7). Let me know if you notice any problems.

And now you can try out a new skin for the forum. Change skin at the bottom of the page to the skin named "Web hosting community - UI.X".

Let me know what you think of this one.

And now you can try out a new skin for the forum. Change skin at the bottom of the page to the skin named "Web hosting community - UI.X".

Let me know what you think of this one.

I like this one a lot better.

Anyone else tried the new skin?

I've now upgraded to the latest xenForo version 1.4.8

I might decide to use the new UI.X theme as default soon. Anyone else got some feedback on that theme? (you can change themes at the bottom of all forum pages to try it out)

As of today the main site at freewebspace.net also has a new design, it's now wider and has a top navigation bar instead of sidebar nav.

Peo, can I make one suggestion.
The "FreeWebSpace" logo at the top of the forums links to the homepage - it's always catching me out! Would it be possible to link it to the forum index instead? :)

Peo, can I make one suggestion.
The "FreeWebSpace" logo at the top of the forums links to the homepage - it's always catching me out! Would it be possible to link it to the forum index instead? :)
Oh, sorry I missed your post Richard. I think I prefer it stays this way with the logo link, but I'll think about it.

Back