• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So i failed my english test...

Erizo

Muffin
NLC
Can you believe it? (to all who have read me)

I know i don't have perfect english skills (i'm from Mexico), but come on...
Half the test were trap questions (that did in no way prove that the student knows english) and the other half was an essay (page long) and a question (half-page long)... so i thought, easy stuff (the test was one of the requirements to get my university title), so you all can imagine my surprise when i got a 49 (i needed at least 70 to pass)...

So of course i went to see why i failed the test, no one was helpful, teachers were arrogant and stubborn, the essay and the question had a max of 15 each, and i got a 2 and a 5, citing "vague, bad grammar, doesn't go anywhere" and bullstuff like that.

I have to go to the school's director on Monday as my last chance, otherwise i'd have paid around 30 bucks for nothing (cost of the test) and would have to either retake the test (and risk something like this happening again), or go to a full course, which i cannot afford to do that (boring and i don't have the time)

</rant>

Your English looks pretty good to me on FWS, but English isn't my first language either.
Its stupid that you have to pay to get an answer.

Sorry to hear that

in my opinion, there is nothing related to you English abilities, as I can see, your English is not so bad, in fact, wonderful.:)

I'm here!!! :D

What exactly is the test for? Is it for your job or something?

Can you believe it? (to all who have read me)

I know i don't have perfect english skills (i'm from Mexico), but come on...
Half the test were trap questions (that did in no way prove that the student knows english) and the other half was an essay (page long) and a question (half-page long)... so i thought, easy stuff (the test was one of the requirements to get my university title), so you all can imagine my surprise when i got a 49 (i needed at least 70 to pass)...

So of course i went to see why i failed the test, no one was helpful, teachers were arrogant and stubborn, the essay and the question had a max of 15 each, and i got a 2 and a 5, citing "vague, bad grammar, doesn't go anywhere" and bullstuff like that.

I have to go to the school's director on Monday as my last chance, otherwise i'd have paid around 30 bucks for nothing (cost of the test) and would have to either retake the test (and risk something like this happening again), or go to a full course, which i cannot afford to do that (boring and i don't have the time)

</rant>

Can you share your answers with us along with the questions?

Maybe, we can help in finding the issues you supposedly had with your test!

`
I'm here!!! :D

What exactly is the test for? Is it for your job or something?

It's a test required to get my Computer Systems Engineer title... Also, on an unrelated topic, great service on wswd so far =)

Can you share your answers with us along with the questions?

Maybe, we can help in finding the issues you supposedly had with your test!

I'll try to get a copy of my answered test, they won't let me take it home with me. It was an article about the Rover landing on Mars (or something like that)

The first part (70%) were trap questions (that did, in no way, prove your english skills) and the second part (30%) were questions about how the article may apply to a job i have or may be applying for and an essay of a non-literal translation of the article.

I actually thought i did a pretty good job, but the stubborn teachers say otherwise. I'll try to at least take a photo of the test, if you could help me see if i am wrong or right, i'd really appreciate it.

`
Also, on an unrelated topic, great service on wswd so far =)

Thanks for the kind words!! :) We appreciate it.

I would definitely love to see a copy of the test, to see exactly what you're doing wrong, or more, what they are saying you're doing wrong. Your English is very good here.

English is such a difficult language to grasp, especially the grammar. I used to be fluent in Spanish (and apparently still am when I'm drunk, ha ha ha! :D), and compared to English, it's very simple to learn. Generally speaking, the conjugations are the same (yes, there are exceptions), and once you learn those rules, you just learn the actual verbs, nouns, etc., and you're good to go. Same goes for a lot of other languages. English is so very different. There are so many rules and exceptions that it makes it very difficult for people to learn.

Your English is fine for the purpose, as in to get your title.

As the test wasn't in 'Technical English', as the description of the questions suggests, it's a pointless requirements for the specific purpose.

As for trap questions (that would be 'trick questions', but since that's the only correction I'd make it's still a pass), there are loads of instances in the language when what is actually written is not what is meant so literal and accepted interpretations differ, the differing is also regional so unfair to test on that also.

If your teachers and schools directors disagree with a variety of native speakers from the languages countries of origin then it's they who should report for class on Monday :)

the only things that really are confusing in English to a lot of people, even when it is a first language, would be the use of certain things like: to / too / two, then / than, for / four, their / there / they're and so on...

off topic, i cant believe i have been on here for 7 years this month. :S

Sorry for not replying until today, school kept me busy... but i managed to get a copy of my test. I'll scan the article and the questions later, if anyone would love to help out, but here's a transcript of what i wrote. I realize today that i made a few (small) mistakes, but you're all free to judge (it'd help me)

Q: How does the information in the article associate to your current job or a job you may be applying for?

In most of it, it doesn't. BUT a systems engineer could fit in a job at some part of NASA's project, since, well... they obviously
have to use computer systems.
It doesn't associate to any job i may be applying in the near future, but i sure as hell (pardon the expression) would love
to work for NASA as a systems engineer...
Because let's face it who would turn off an offer to be a part of history AND be paid good for it?

Q: Write a one-page essay (200-250 words), using proper English of the text.

Getting on with the success obtained from the Curiosity Rover landing on mars, NASA wants to put up another project; this time to
(primary reason) know more about the history of the planet by studying Mars' core, using the insight project (part of the discovery
program), led by the scientist Prof. Catherine Johnson, who is currently working for the University of Brithis Columbia.
By carrying four different instruments, the Insight Lander will investigate Mars' core and seismic activity. When it
(the Insight Lander) arrives on Mars around September 2016.
Aside from investigating the core, the scientists want the information given by the lander to help know why the magnetic field and the
atmospher disappeared, and if possible, when.

Overall, this is one of those "big step to mankind" things that get us closer to know our entire universe.

Let's presume that there aren't too many new mistakes from the transcription process. Some things I see:
"I" is supposed to be capitalized, and yours are lower case.
The teacher may have gotten grumpy at the extended use of the parentheses, though they look mostly correct.
Some little things about commas vs semicolons, starting sentences with clause words like "But", etc.
"Informal wording", the kind you see on message boards, annoys some strict English teachers.

So I'd like to see what the teacher was thinking, because that feels like maybe in the C+ to B range, but not a fail.

P.S. Unless this is a transcript error, the question isn't valid English either!
"... using proper English of the text." The first question feels a little fishy too, because "associate to" is rather awkward ; Americans would probably use "relate to".

Last edited:
Let's presume that there aren't too many new mistakes from the transcription process. Some things I see:
"I" is supposed to be capitalized, and yours are lower case.
The teacher may have gotten grumpy at the extended use of the parentheses, though they look mostly correct.
Some little things about commas vs semicolons, starting sentences with clause words like "But", etc.
"Informal wording", the kind you see on message boards, annoys some strict English teachers.

So I'd like to see what the teacher was thinking, because that feels like maybe in the C+ to B range, but not a fail.

P.S. Unless this is a transcript error, the question isn't valid English either!
"... using proper English of the text." The first question feels a little fishy too, because "associate to" is rather awkward ; Americans would probably use "relate to".

First of all, thanks for taking the time and giving feedback =)
All the "I" are supposed to be capitalized? Regardless of wherever it is?
I thought so about informal wording (that it may had annoyed the teachers)
There is no transcript error, the question is written like that :lol:

Well, in the essay (the long one) i got 5/15, citing "very vague, poor grammar, lacks info", and on the other one i got 2/15, just citing "vague". Can you believe it?

Here's my re-written answer and question for you.

Q: How does the information in the article relate to your current job, or a job you are applying for?
Most of the information in the article doesn’t relate to the job I’m applying for. A Systems Engineer could fit in a role at some of NASA’s projects. The information in the article doesn’t relate to any job I may be applying for in the near future. Let’s face it, who would turn down an offer to be a part of history and be paid well for it? (Wouldn’t have included this sentence)

You have excellent writing skills, I am not agree with your saying that you do not know much more about English.

Back