• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

This was hilarious, I had to post - You will cry from laughing so hard

It seems they are from byte host?

Sign up activation link is linking to securesignup.net and securesignup.net is linking to Bytehost...

Update: I've signup for 1 account to see what are they offering.

1 FTP account
Mysql storage is limited at 50MB

Last edited:
It seems they are from byte host?

Sign up activation link is linking to securesignup.net and securesignup.net is linking to Bytehost...

Update: I've signup for 1 account to see what are they offering.

1 FTP account
Mysql storage is limited at 50MB

Ads everywhere too?

Heh that really is a funny Bait and Switch!

Yea, had to post. The owner used to visit these forums.

"Unlimited", until it hit the limit.
LOL
curl and fsockopen?
As I know, all host that using Vista panel, have all these closed.

Hehe unlimited everything... thats impossible!
No it's not. If it's Free hosting, they could just set the file-size limit to 2mb, limit file-types and put advertising. Then any site big enough to use say 50gb in space and 5000gb in bandwidth is making them a killing in ad revenue, if you were the host do you think you would suddenly want to limit the size of the website rather than buy another server for it so it keeps making you money? :lol:

And if your website becomes as big and successful as Google then the hosting company is making BILLIONS from your "free" site!!!! :classic2:

Just like Rapidshare, etc. You think Rapidshare ever says a file is using too much bandwidth and removes it? I think not!

It's certainly more possible and more logicial than unlimited hosting at dreamhost or another paid host.

"Unlimited" does not exist...period. Yet another ridiculous hosting offer.

"Unlimited" does not exist...period. Yet another ridiculous hosting offer.
Again, do you think Rapidshare ever says "that file is using too much bandwidth"? Or will they buy a whole new server and dedicate its entire bandwith to it so they keep earning from their ads? I'm guessing they do the latter.

Why would a host who's earning from advertising on your site EVER limit your space or bandwidth?

Again, do you think Rapidshare ever says "that file is using too much bandwidth"? Or will they buy a whole new server and dedicate its entire bandwith to it so they keep earning from their ads? I'm guessing they do the latter.

Why would a host who's earning from advertising on your site EVER limit your space or bandwidth?

I don't really think you understand what everyone here means. We have no issue with unmetered as long as there is a limit (such as port speed) defined. But unlimited is literally impossible.

And with potentially thousands of users on a server, sharing the given port, unmetered simply doesn't work with shared/reseller hosting.

But for byethost, in this case, it is possible, as byethost is running their vistapanel reseller hosting on a huge cluster.
But then again, I believe you all know all the limits that byethost had set for the free hosting accounts. everything is closed, which it is just as good as for hosting some html files only...

I don't really think you understand what everyone here means. We have no issue with unmetered as long as there is a limit (such as port speed) defined. But unlimited is literally impossible.

It doesn't say "unlimited speed" nor "unlimited file size", and it clearly states that once a site gets big enough they put in in-line advertising (similar to what you see on the main FWS website). Personally I find inline advertising far more intrusive than banner or text ads, although you can disable them by disabling javascript. Inline advertising companies generally don't allow other advertising and won't accept sites that don't contain enough B/W, so their policy is actually to appease the inline ad company.

Of course there are limits, but so to is there a limit as to how fast a website can possibly "grow"; even if it goes "viral" like wikipedia. The fact is, as a source of income for the hosting company, and that income increases with website size, it is in their best interests to keep the website functioning no matter how "big" it gets. If you're going to have advertising on free websites, the last thing you would ever want to do as a host is limit bandwidth because essentially you're tossing money down the toilet if the ads don't run.

With the file-size a simple 2MB limit forces users to do some size optimization towards their images, etc, which really they should do anyway but many don't. Without this limit you get free sites that can use bitmap-sized images, etc, and eat up B/W unnecessarily. [offtopic] Something I've said before is the best colour quantization tool I've ever found is xPadie. I actually can't belive it's such an unkown tool knowing how much better it is than anything else at what it does. Direct link to the most recent version (2002) that I know about is: http://www.anime.net/~sasami/ura/xpadiepro13.zip And you want to know what? It's open-source, so anyone could have copied the code into photoshop, or any other program, or made plugin. The source isn't in that zip file, but i can upload the source to a previous version if you want it. [/offtopic]

We can agree to disagree. :)

It doesn't say "unlimited speed" nor "unlimited file size", and it clearly states that once a site gets big enough they put in in-line advertising (similar to what you see on the main FWS website). Personally I find inline advertising far more intrusive than banner or text ads, although you can disable them by disabling javascript. Inline advertising companies generally don't allow other advertising and won't accept sites that don't contain enough B/W, so their policy is actually to appease the inline ad company.

Of course there are limits, but so to is there a limit as to how fast a website can possibly "grow"; even if it goes "viral" like wikipedia. The fact is, as a source of income for the hosting company, and that income increases with website size, it is in their best interests to keep the website functioning no matter how "big" it gets. If you're going to have advertising on free websites, the last thing you would ever want to do as a host is limit bandwidth because essentially you're tossing money down the toilet if the ads don't run.

With the file-size a simple 2MB limit forces users to do some size optimization towards their images, etc, which really they should do anyway but many don't. Without this limit you get free sites that can use bitmap-sized images, etc, and eat up B/W unnecessarily. [offtopic] Something I've said before is the best colour quantization tool I've ever found is xPadie. I actually can't belive it's such an unkown tool knowing how much better it is than anything else at what it does. Direct link to the most recent version (2002) that I know about is: http://www.anime.net/~sasami/ura/xpadiepro13.zip And you want to know what? It's open-source, so anyone could have copied the code into photoshop, or any other program, or made plugin. The source isn't in that zip file, but i can upload the source to a previous version if you want it. [/offtopic]

We can agree to disagree. :)

I think you're talking about another site now.

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1500&d=1334070690

That most definitely says "Unlimited disk space! Unlimited bandwidth!".

It's one thing for a host to knowingly raise their account limits in order to allow the growth of a site that has been doing well and turning a good profit- I've done this for a few of my clients now where they are putting the bandwidth to good use and making money with it, so I allow them as much as 5x their plan's normal bandwidth quota because they've proven that they'll make money for me with it.

It is another to advertise an unlimited capability knowing full well the server behind it is of finite value.

Yes you could just buy a bigger server if you are making a profit from all this, but that relies on the assumption that you can afford a larger server before your resources run out.

And because of the high abuse rates all-unlimited hosting offers tend to attract, more often than not they run out of resources without turning enough profit to expand.

Yes you could just buy a bigger server if you are making a profit from all this, but that relies on the assumption that you can afford a larger server before your resources run out.

It's not just a matter of affording a larger server. In terms of disk space, for example, the common argument amongst the "unlimited" crowd is that you can just add more hard drives. You sure can (though it's still a a limit), but if a host selling "unlimited" plans for $3/mo. are they really going to keep buying $250 hard drives for that $3 client, so that he can host an "unlimited" amount of data?

The fact of the matter is that "unlimited" is a scam, and just like the cell phone companies, the hosts offering such should have their pants sued off of them. Ever wonder why Verizon and AT&T (in the US) don't offer unlimited data plans on their cell phones or Internet devices? They lost several major lawsuits and had to pay millions of dollars to clients, because the judge found basically that "unlimited" is a huge scam.

What's wrong with unlimited? It does exist! I had a bottomless drink from Nando's today.. it never stopped!

Seriously now, I hate these unlimited hosts - it makes me laugh when they are paid hosts stating unlimited, let alone free :D

Back