• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any free web hosting horror stories?

Same as what sander k said, losing data.
A lot of post2host provider, always have issues with their server.
Most of the time, they will announce that they are shifting server, then they try to migrate the datas to the new server.
But the problem is, sometimes the transferred datas are corrupted, and your website is a good as dead.

Lots of things can happen if you use those post2host which is run by kids.

back well before i was a webhost i used free shred hosting back in 2006 with 2ip thay closed the free hosting in 2007 without warning 2ip went broke

About 4 to 5 yrs ago I was using a free host the host was having problems with there server so the host switched to another server. After the switch my site would not load any more & I could not access my cpanel any more but the host main site still loaded. I contacted the admin of the host he said my site was lost in the move I really think the admin lied to me the few sites he hosted for free were all deleted so he could the use the space for paid hosting. The admin should have given the few site that were hosted free 48hrs to back up there sites

About 4 to 5 yrs ago I was using a free host the host was having problems with there server so the host switched to another server. After the switch my site would not load any more & I could not access my cpanel any more but the host main site still loaded. I contacted the admin of the host he said my site was lost in the move I really think the admin lied to me the few sites he hosted for free were all deleted so he could the use the space for paid hosting. The admin should have given the few site that were hosted free 48hrs to back up there sites

This is the reason why when using free host, the user should do backup of their database everyday.
No matter how good is the free host, when things happened, they will usually just ignore free users and give priority to paid users first.

Same thing. Data lost including my own website. That was a very very bad incident and I still do worry about it. I lost all my clients and also my reputation because of it.

I have had problems with a host that would be offline for a week at a time, claiming it was a billing issue. Happened at least 3 times in one year. Then the no support deal. Main thing that happens is when a stable host up and leaves, presumably because of budget issues, since free hosting is hard to make a profit, if they can at all.

back well before i was a webhost i used free shred hosting back in 2006 with 2ip thay closed the free hosting in 2007 without warning 2ip went broke

LOL, WUT? Since when did you become a host? Are you referring to the androidVPS that you cant configure or perhaps the retroVPS that isnt around? I think the only thing you host is the ice cream party on Tuesdays.

Liam maybe?

Does 'free' relate to 'web hosting' or to 'horror stories'?

I suppose the popular story is the one of host vanishing into thin air. All of a sudden. "Goodbye my data, I will miss you".

I personally think that free hosting should use for testing and learning purpose only.
If going to host something important, or even a personal blog, it is best to spend a couple of dollars on paid hosting at reputable host.

I personally think that free hosting should use for testing and learning purpose only.
If going to host something important, or even a personal blog, it is best to spend a couple of dollars on paid hosting at reputable host.

Yes, and you would share the details needed for the payhost.
There are good free packages and deals out there. You just gotta look, it isn't there like paid. You gotta convince people.

Yes, and you would share the details needed for the payhost.
There are good free packages and deals out there. You just gotta look, it isn't there like paid. You gotta convince people.

Ask anyone here, they will agree that paying for a reputable paid host for hosting an important website, is a worth investment.
I do agree that there are good free host, but if the website is an important website, do you think anyone will dare to take the risk to host it on a free hosting?
Investing for a web hosting account on a reputable host, will always be safer than hosting it on a free hosting.

Free hosters will always have horror stories, ( i dont have any to share)

This is why you should always go with paid hosting company that have been open for atleast a year at best.

Back