• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHPBB Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

worlditsme

I was wondering what you thought of PHPBB as a forum solution, as I have heard it is not the best software to use for a forum.

I was wondering what you thought of PHPBB as a forum solution, as I have heard it is not the best software to use for a forum.

Its free. That's about it. You may be able to find a lot of plugins/mods for it, but they aren't official and 90% of the time they break your forum. They do have a lot of themes though.
That is the benefit of phpBB is the development. Dozens of people develop mods for it. Downside? None of them are working together, so not all plugins/themes will function properly.
Plus, I have yet to see phpBB work under large stressful environments unless heavily tweaked.

If you are talking about free forum software so I would agree that is none of the best. However there is SMF which can be considered as good one as well.

A friend of mine recently started a Forum with PHPBB and his main frustration in the beginning was spam. He had to fine tune quite a few things to ensure that he filters out as much spam as he can without making it difficult for existing members to post.

If you are talking about free forum software so I would agree that is none of the best. However there is SMF which can be considered as good one as well.

I was avoiding taking in other forum software into the OP's thread. As it is about phpBB, nothing else.

A friend of mine recently started a Forum with PHPBB and his main frustration in the beginning was spam. He had to fine tune quite a few things to ensure that he filters out as much spam as he can without making it difficult for existing members to post.

Spam is a huge problem with phpBB. It lacks any security features "out-of-the-box."

I installed phpBB on a joomla site a while back with a login bridge. Turned out to be a huge mistake. The bots flooded it in no time. The only plus side for phpBB is that it's free. That is all.

phpbb its not bad forum software. you can say that software is light weight and simple forum software. i think its best for newbies webmasters who interested in making forums site.

phpbb its not bad forum software. you can say that software is light weight and simple forum software. i think its best for newbies webmasters who interested in making forums site.
Right. Once you have found ways to deal with the spam and bots you do stand a chance. You need to be checking up on it regularly however so it is not one of those sites where you can go on holiday for a few weeks and when you return it is in the same condition. Good chance you won'g recognize it when you return because of the spam. Spam is also bad from the point of view that there may be members who don't like the spam and leave the Forum.

Yeah, PHPBB is not good. If your just need a small community, it's enough.

If you looking for a free forum software, maybe you can also try MyBB and SMF

:idea:

Hope I'm not late to the party, but I personally love phpBB. Easy to set up, easy to configure, and pretty light-weight as far as server resources are concerned.

My vBulletin forums out of the box get FAR more spam than the phpBB forums ever did. The captcha stuff on phpBB was good enough to eliminate maybe all but 2 or 3 bot sign-ups per month. On my latest vBulletin forum (not even an active site yet), I was getting upward of 40-50 bot sign-ups per day, right out of the box. They all seem to have cracked the internal vBulletin captcha, as well as re-captcha. Never happened with phpBB.

Of course, implementing a question that only humans can answer has eliminated all but the manual bots on both forums. For free, you really can't go wrong with phpBB.

Last edited:
PhpBB is the best free forums, but not for professionnal business. Why? Because its features are not enough deep to handle a big forums (i'm talking here with more than 500 members online at a time). If you get that amount of people i'd go personnally for IPB or vBulletin.

Yes I know I am using vbulltin now and it sucks that is my idea. I have used vbulletin for clients, phpbb , smf even I have written MODS for phpbb2 long long time ago so I know what I am saying

Great, another reply to a thread that hasn't been posted to in over 6 weeks. I thought these were supposed to close after 30 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back