• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FREE social networking scripts

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
Can anyone recommend some good, but FREE social networking scripts? I am wanting to change some aspects of my social networking site for RE and Financial Professionals. I have found a few, but not all that great.

Any ideas, would be appreciated.

The only issue that I had with Dolphin was that it used a TON of resources and made the server run like crap. I would not recommend it if you're going to be in a shared environment.

Thanks to all who posted. Will try them all out over the next few days.

If anyone else knows of any, please post them!

I am also interested to "social" CMS. For free, if such exists. Many of Social scripts I saw online for free were usually warez, facebook clones, or required too many things for shared hosting.
Do you know anything that looks good, is free, and works under Shared Hosting ?
Sorry for bumping my question in this thread, but I think it will help the OP too, as it's in the same subject.

I figured out how to edit the footer. However, I am still having issues editing stuff in the layout managers.

Looks like I am back to square one. Apparently socialengine that I wanted to use, isn't compatible with my shared account with hostgator.com, even though it was all working just fine, except for one part of it. The issue can be found here http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/kaybear2008/socialengineerror-1.jpg

So, does anyone know of any good or paid (if paid, I prefer one that has a trial to it) social networking script that can be supported on a shared hosting account?

I understand the need for a VPS or Dedicated server for a social networking website, but mine is NOT that big yet, so to me it is a waste of money.

I have tried jcow, Dolphin, and SocialEngine. These are all good, but still, something is missing. I am wanting something that comes preset with as many modules as possible, that I can easily edit the footer, navbar, etc.

@tlchosting

I'd choose elgg over any of those :D I've used it before, and it's probably better and a lot less resource-intensive than boonex dolphin, and can also achieve all that dolphin can with a few add-ons.

Do you know anything that looks good, is free, and works under Shared Hosting ?
Sorry for bumping my question in this thread, but I think it will help the OP too, as it's in the same subject.

Back