• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

British Internet - 2 Warnings for piracy, disconnected.

Good. Hopefully this will mean less piracy, meaning more companies still not getting more sales, meaning games will HOPEFULLY start getting better story and gameplay and just be more interesting in general, because now they cant blame piracy as the reason they are losing money.

Seriously, am I the only one in the last 5-7 years that can't enjoy games?. One or two good games, and the rest are complete crap.

It's not "good". From a POV of it increasing sales, compared to your privacy rights? It wont increase sales drastically, you can't stop piracy. If people are willing and have the money to pay for something, they will. If they don't, they wont. It's as simple as that.

I download tons of stuff "illegally", mostly movies and TV shows. Why? Because they're freely streamed "legally" for people in the USA but not for the UK/rest of the world. And I don't want to watch them only when they are on TV (Which even then they usually always cut the series off once it gets enough viewers, they're moved over to subscription based channels.) Another reason is old shows. I download from trusted sources, therefore I trust the download, where I don't buy DVD boxsets online (Maybe the odd one or two from Amazon/Play) but only those because I can trust them. But that trust comes with a price which I'm not willing to pay. (Which leads back to the first sentence)

So I say ---- their copyrights until they play fair. (Take Southparkstudios.com for example, free full episodes for USA viewers, the UK version of the website has around 3/4 episodes only. Been up for as long as the other, though only recently updated. Why? "Legal contract issues". Why does it have to be different?)

Last edited:
It's not "good". From a POV of it increasing sales, compared to your privacy rights? It wont increase sales drastically, you can't stop piracy. If people are willing and have the money to pay for something, they will. If they don't, they wont. It's as simple as that.

I download tons of stuff "illegally", mostly movies and TV shows. Why? Because they're freely streamed "legally" for people in the USA but not for the UK/rest of the world. And I don't want to watch them only when they are on TV (Which even then they usually always cut the series off once it gets enough viewers, they're moved over to subscription based channels.) Another reason is old shows. I download from trusted sources, therefore I trust the download, where I don't buy DVD boxsets online (Maybe the odd one or two from Amazon/Play) but only those because I can trust them. But that trust comes with a price which I'm not willing to pay. (Which leads back to the first sentence)

So I say ---- their copyrights until they play fair. (Take Southparkstudios.com for example, free full episodes for USA viewers, the UK version of the website has around 3/4 episodes only. Been up for as long as the other, though only recently updated. Why? "Legal contract issues". Why does it have to be different?)

Yes, its not good for you. It's good for me. Why?. Because I haven't been able to enjoy any new games for years. And they all claim the same crap, "Piracy is hurting us to much, so we can't put as much effort into the games" or other such bull----.

Again, hopefully games will get better now. Because they cant play the piracy card anymore really, at least not in the UK.

Again, hopefully games will get better now. Because they cant play the piracy card anymore really, at least not in the UK.

Wow you're pretty stupid. Penalising pirates will not directly influence the quality of games. It will simply make pirates work harder to be more discrete, and games will continue to be ----.

Wow you're pretty stupid. Penalising pirates will not directly influence the quality of games. It will simply make pirates work harder to be more discrete, and games will continue to be ----.

I said hopefully, not that I believed it would happen.

Again, you're willing to give up your basic rights for the quality of a game? That's messed up. I agree most games are crap and the same lately, but this is how it works and has for years until gaming technologies change. The next possible five years will all be about quality of the graphics which is the cause for ---- games, not pirates. (Piracy actually reduces the quality for the sake of small downloads. It's why most people who care about DVD/Blueray quality will buy them once released (Or go the movies) where most who don't care will watch a CAM.

Start releasing games that won't tell my I pirated them when I have the box and the receipt in one of my hand and a phone (yelling at customer service) in the other, then I'll start paying.

What's the point of buying the game when I'm being told anyway that I'm pirating it. It seems to be fun for them to tell me I'm a pirate when I DID buy the game, I'll give the companies a reason to call me a pirate.

As soon as they stop using DRM, I'll pay for the games. All the games I've bought recently were on steam (the DRM is really not draconian there) and I did buy World of Goo since it didn't have any DRM!

I download tons of stuff "illegally", mostly movies and TV shows. Why? Because they're freely streamed "legally" for people in the USA but not for the UK/rest of the world. And I don't want to watch them only when they are on TV (Which even then they usually always cut the series off once it gets enough viewers, they're moved over to subscription based channels.) Another reason is old shows. I download from trusted sources, therefore I trust the download, where I don't buy DVD boxsets online (Maybe the odd one or two from Amazon/Play) but only those because I can trust them. But that trust comes with a price which I'm not willing to pay. (Which leads back to the first sentence)s

It is just flat out illegal, you don't need the quotes around that.

But that doesn't mean I agree with the proposed legislation. It's a terrible solution.

Not always, I buy certain games, I buy certain DVDs, even music CDs. I have my whole music collection on a harddrive, and on CDs over the years. I've lost most of the CDs, which is why I download them and save them on my harddrive. That may be classed as illegal, but I couldn't care. I've still bought them once, I'm just storing it in a solution that is perfect for me. Likewise with games, I still have a copy of the game somewhere.

I don't really care if it's legal or illegal, I was always brought up "sharing is caring".

I do piracy with nearly all software or games I use, why? Try before you buy. If I like it, I'll buy it at some point if I have the money.

I generally don't pirate software (open source/freeware ftw) or games (consoles ftw) but with music it's a different story. I prefer to support bands I like by going to their gigs/concerts, buying T-Shirts / posters, rather than buy their albums with god knows how little going towards them. Merch/gigs gives them a much better percentage. Hell, I wouldn't have even heard of half the bands I listen to if it weren't for piracy.

Legal options are getting a lot better, with iTunes having DRM-free 192kbps with strong competition to amazon, and unlimited listening services like spotify/napster are fantastic, but the range/quality that you get are still by far sub-par to piracy. Don't even get me started on the availability of legal TV show/Movie options.

Yeah, I'd say increasing availability is probably the right track for reducing piracy in the TV/movies/music areas. I'm not sure how to really reduce piracy of games, though. The only incentive to buy a game seems to be for online play, and that isn't even always required due to things like cracks or hamachi servers.

Not always, I buy certain games, I buy certain DVDs, even music CDs. I have my whole music collection on a harddrive, and on CDs over the years. I've lost most of the CDs, which is why I download them and save them on my harddrive. That may be classed as illegal, but I couldn't care. I've still bought them once, I'm just storing it in a solution that is perfect for me. Likewise with games, I still have a copy of the game somewhere.

I don't really care if it's legal or illegal, I was always brought up "sharing is caring".

I do piracy with nearly all software or games I use, why? Try before you buy. If I like it, I'll buy it at some point if I have the money.

I'm sorry, this is even more stupid than the previous post I pointed out.

Here's the short of it: You're full of ----.

Long version:
You weren't brought up to believe 'sharing is caring'; you were brought up in a society with a false sense of entitlement. You want everything, and you want it now. Don't hide behind pathetic lies like 'try before you buy'. It's simple, you pirated something. If you're going to pirate something, at least own up to the fact, don't pretend you did it for any righteous reason. You tell yourself these lies to mask any guilt you would have felt if you had actually thought about what you were doing, and why you were doing it. You were too cheap to pay, end of story.

I'm not saying I don't do similar things, but whenever I see some little ---- spout the 'try before you buy' line I gag a little on my own vomit. Because the truth is, almost no one ever buys.

FWIW, I believe that if you paid for a game, music cd, whatever, you should be able to store it how you want (F/ALAC, mp3, etc) and/or download it again if your media was scratched. You should be allowed to 'crack' games so they run without the disc in the drive.

Disclaimer: I used to pirate all my stuff, then I grew up, got a job and started paying for what I wanted.

I generally don't pirate software (open source/freeware ftw) or games (consoles ftw) but with music it's a different story. I prefer to support bands I like by going to their gigs/concerts, buying T-Shirts / posters, rather than buy their albums with god knows how little going towards them. Merch/gigs gives them a much better percentage. Hell, I wouldn't have even heard of half the bands I listen to if it weren't for piracy.

Legal options are getting a lot better, with iTunes having DRM-free 192kbps with strong competition to amazon, and unlimited listening services like spotify/napster are fantastic, but the range/quality that you get are still by far sub-par to piracy. Don't even get me started on the availability of legal TV show/Movie options.
+1

But to make it legal. Try Spotify if your in the UK. Its freeking amazing. Trust me. I'll send you a invite if you wish.

I'm sorry, this is even more stupid than the previous post I pointed out.

Here's the short of it: You're full of ----.

Long version:
You weren't brought up to believe 'sharing is caring'; you were brought up in a society with a false sense of entitlement. You want everything, and you want it now. Don't hide behind pathetic lies like 'try before you buy'. It's simple, you pirated something. If you're going to pirate something, at least own up to the fact, don't pretend you did it for any righteous reason. You tell yourself these lies to mask any guilt you would have felt if you had actually thought about what you were doing, and why you were doing it. You were too cheap to pay, end of story.

I'm not saying I don't do similar things, but whenever I see some little ---- spout the 'try before you buy' line I gag a little on my own vomit. Because the truth is, almost no one ever buys.

FWIW, I believe that if you paid for a game, music cd, whatever, you should be able to store it how you want (F/ALAC, mp3, etc) and/or download it again if your media was scratched. You should be allowed to 'crack' games so they run without the disc in the drive.

Disclaimer: I used to pirate all my stuff, then I grew up, got a job and started paying for what I wanted.
You're very mistaken.

I think the "try before you buy" thing is kind of interesting. Not in legal terms or anything. It's still just flat out piracy and illegal. More in business terms. Clearly, a software company (or any company that can be a victim of piracy) is going to choose the most profitable method marketing their products. Demos and trials tend to be the way they go about doing this; they allow potential customers to try out part of the full product to see if they actually like it enough to purchase the whole thing.

If it were more profitable, they would release the whole thing to you indefinitely until you decide to buy it (which would basically be a legal "try before you buy" thing). They don't, because on the whole, it is not profitable. That's one reason why software piracy is illegal. It cuts profits, even if you are "only trying it out." Sure, you individually may increase their profits by doing the "try before you buy" bit via piracy and then actually buying it, but overall, they lose money from that scheme.

The interesting part to me is how a company decides just how limited their demos/trials are. If you limit it too much, the potential customer can't really try it out. If there aren't enough limits, why should they bother to actually buy it? It seems like a demo/trial that is limited only on time and not features would be the best bet. Well, unless you actually have a crappy product and want to restrict features because they suck, in which case maybe you should have made a better product.

So it seems like the problem with "try before you buy" via piracy is that someone can "try" a product for as long as they want, get lots of use out of it (which is generally the point of paying for it...), and then decide they don't want to buy it. Kinda like test driving a car...for a month...then deciding you don't want to buy it.

A trial is usually the whole software, untouched, as you would get it if you bought it. Trials are trials for a reason, they expire after a few days/weeks. I'm not saying I crack them, but if I was, it would only be because the software is limited to the point that you don't get to try the damn thing out. If that increases piracy, so be it. That's the companies fault for limiting their own product too much.

On the subject of software too, there is open source software, yeah. But when certain jobs require you to have experience and knowledge of certain software packages, like Adobe Suites (Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc), Microsoft Office, as the main ones, how am I expected to purchase this to learn it for a job ASAP? I couldn't, I can't. This is where piracy helps. So if anything, jobs cause piracy too. Right?

Listen, I'm not supporting piracy on the whole, but it's helped me find more music, games, software and other things that I would never have found if it wasn't for piracy. As for the cracking of games to remove their protection for a required disk, that shouldn't be on any game in the first place! (Would you put your music CD in everytime you wanted to play a ripped disk? No.) Software companies only placed that on to "fight" piracy, it increases it. Where do most people go to get these cracks?

Any game I want to play online, I buy it. Simple as. Always have, always will. I do download games "illegally", but I still own a legally bought key for it. But newer games I want to try it first, see if it works well on my computer. (Can you run it, I use that too. But it's not perfect, only true test is running the game.) One game I bought in the past 2 years (?) before trying was C&C: Kane Edition. £30, brand new, the week it came out. Having played the previous C&C series and loved it. I thought what the heck. It wasn't worth £30 in my eyes now that I look back, I wish I never bought it. But if I did it the other way around, downloaded and played, enjoyed it and thought the game was worth £30, I would have bought it at some point if I enjoyed it that much and had the money to spare. Or I would have bought a previous version of C&C, even the cost out. It goes to the same place at the end of it. I don't see a problem with that. What am I expected to do, do no gaming at all? (For the record, I don't like console ripped games. - My auntie one time bought her son just over 400 ripped games. In those types of volumes I think it's greed, and being cheap just because you can be because the opportunity is there. But that's not me, so please don't try to say I am. I know I'm not. I don't have TB's of illegal ---- like most people.)

But this has kind of gone off track regarding the thread issue. (But it shouldn't be locked)

Last edited:
+1

But to make it legal. Try Spotify if your in the UK. Its freeking amazing. Trust me. I'll send you a invite if you wish.

I've had it for a long time and always use it at other people's houses, but I find it's music catalogue is way too popular, never having more obscure tracks on it. It may not be viable for them to do it and I understand; but at the end of the day it's still a +1 for piracy.

Back