• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Unlimited Hosting

tlchosting

Something that makes me laugh is people say I don't be leave in unlimited there is no such thing.

Well some think I have noticed is in the past year, more and more highly respected and very very well known hosts are doing it.

Here is a short list.

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Streamline - but seems to be blocked on here for some reason.

http://www.uk2.net/reseller-hosting/

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/resellers/

This is just a handful of hosts that have been around for many years that sell unlimited, please note there is also a unlimited reseller hosting in the list.

Personally if they can do it and not scam, so can other hosts that come on here to advertise. It's not there fault that some people come on here stating they have unlimited then they close down the site. Scams can be in many form from coupons, paypal details, card details ect...

Personally if a host is requesting unreasonable amount for there unlimited plans then don't buy it.

Like hostgator they charge from £3 up to £10 - I would say this is reasonable.

I personally don't have unlimited plans, but i do have 3 plans, designed for social networking sites that start of with 5GB then if the site needs extra space/bandwidth then i will update there accounts with the extra. Also accounts get checked so that there not abusing there plans with other scripts.

What do you think about the whole unlimited selling now you have seen that many high ranked hosts are doing it?

It does not matter if they are a big host or not if they are offering unlimited space to someone then they are scamming them.

The technology is just not there for an unlimited harddrive.

Dont you think that if one of those "unlimited" plans were real then youtube or some other tube site would just use one of the "unlimited" plans for there stuff.

The only way these companies are able to offer unlimited is because they have so much stuff in there TOS that if you run much more than static HTML pages with no mysql and no extra fun stuff and a couple images then your account gets suspended / terminated due to overuse of the server.

The truth of it all is that offering someone "unlimited" is just a gimmick to get them to come and buy from your company so you make money. Why do you think hostgator godaddy dreamhost...ect..ect..ect offer 2tb of space and 20tb of bandwidth for $5? They just want the customer to come to them. As soon as the site gets popular and uses more than a unstated amount of resources *POOF* there goes the account.

[offtopic]This gives me an idea for a project... Create 100gb worth of .html files all linking to each other and upload them to an "Unlimited" package and see how long till I get my account shut off.[/offtopic]

To answer your question. I dont care if it is a high ranked host a new host or every single host in the world. I still think that it is a scam and they really should not lie to customers. [Yes they are lying to there customers by offering something they can not fully deliver]

It does not matter if they are a big host or not if they are offering unlimited space to someone then they are scamming them.

Dont you think that if one of those "unlimited" plans were real then youtube or some other tube site would just use one of the "unlimited" plans for there stuff.

The only way these companies are able to offer unlimited is because they have so much stuff in there TOS that if you run much more than static HTML pages with no mysql and no extra fun stuff and a couple images then your account gets suspended / terminated due to overuse of the server.

The truth of it all is that offering someone "unlimited" is just a gimmick to get them to come and buy from your company so you make money. Why do you think hostgator godaddy dreamhost...ect..ect..ect offer 2tb of space and 20tb of bandwidth for $5? They just want the customer to come to them. As soon as the site gets popular and uses more than a unstated amount of resources *POOF* there goes the account.

[offtopic]This gives me an idea for a project... Create 100gb worth of .html files all linking to each other and upload them to an "Unlimited" package and see how long till I get my account shut off.[/offtopic]

To answer your question. I dont care if it is a high ranked host a new host or every single host in the world. I still think that it is a scam and they really should not lie to customers. [Yes they are lying to there customers by offering something they can not fully deliver]

Sorry I don't agree with that before I started my own hosting company, I used hostgator and my account come to over 230GB and i was with them 3 years. All I done is kept my site within there t&c. Never did they once say that is it we want you off. Also never had any issues with support, or services never in the 3 years with them did there servers go down. So for me hostgator offered me some think and fully delivered.

As for "[offtopic]This gives me an idea for a project... Create 100gb worth of .html files all linking to each other and upload them to an "Unlimited" package and see how long till I get my account shut off.[/offtopic]" coming from a member of staff on here that is a really childish comment and of cause if you do that it will get removed wouldn't you?

Just because I have some plans that allow any amount of space needed for there site to work NOT UNLIMITED! don't mean I am going to cancel there accounts. I will just but the extra hardware needed to give them the space to get good customer reviews and word of mouth customers.

And the technology is not there to have unlimited hard drives YET but they say by 2010 you can expect to see 300TB Hard drives on the market. But until then the technology is there to have racks and to connect servers and hard drives together to utilize many hard-drives. What do you think companies do when they are running out of space. They don't sack there employees, they don't remove a few computers so less use the network and they don't put there servers in the bin. They pay for the upgrade in hardware. It amasses me that you have never heard in hardware upgrade.

Also the fact is when people see that they are highly rated and experienced hosting company, new customers are more likely to go to them no matter what because of there reputation is all over the net due to how long they have been running. I am sure if you type in cheap host in Google it's 10 times more likely to come up with there site then yours or mine.

Last edited:
Unlimited offers usually limit what you can upload. For example, you can't just upload lots of large files if they aren't actually for your website, this would get your account suspended as soon as they notice this.

I trust the hosts you've listed simply because they're some of the larger hosts. I wouldn't trust a new host that appeared with unlimited disk space because it's obvious they'll disappear within a few months of getting customers that use a lot of resources.

[JSH]John;1070238 said:
Unlimited offers usually limit what you can upload. For example, you can't just upload lots of large files if they aren't actually for your website, this would get your account suspended as soon as they notice this.

I trust the hosts you've listed simply because they're some of the larger hosts. I wouldn't trust a new host that appeared with unlimited disk space because it's obvious they'll disappear within a few months of getting customers that use a lot of resources.

Thanks John

I agree completely with what you said "I trust the hosts you've listed simply because they're some of the larger hosts. I wouldn't trust a new host that appeared with unlimited disk space because it's obvious they'll disappear within a few months of getting customers that use a lot of resources."

Yes most unlimited host normally restrict what you can upload onto the site or have an INODE restriction, and this is usually in there t&c. That is where people go wrong. They don't read there t&c.

Hostgator has a INODE restriction, and some one posted on a Hosting Forums saying hostgator won't backup my site no more ect and started with abuse. I said to him at the end of the day if you read the t&c you see after 550000 INODES is reached automatic backups will no longer backup your account.

If this person read their t&c you would have known and could have gone to another host that has unlimited hosting with out the INODE.

Jaguarpc has unlimited diskspace but you start off with 50GB and with jaguarpc there is no INODE restriction.

I dont agree with you sir. I have Used HostGator and have used up to 9 TB of Bandwidth. and i didnt got any suspension or termination. sure that most Unlimited seen (used to) here on FWS were scams but You cannot Judge everyone from an example.

I dont agree with you sir. I have Used HostGator and have used up to 9 TB of Bandwidth. and i didnt got any suspension or termination. sure that most Unlimited seen (used to) here on FWS were scams but You cannot Judge everyone from an example.

Thanks for you feedback :)

Streamline are well known here in the UK for scamming customers by automatically charging credit cards when the customer has already stated that they do not want to renew their account. Then they have great difficulty trying to get a refund out of them.

Avoid.

P.S. It's only "unlimited" until you reach the limit.

Is there unlimited anything in this world? No

This topic has been beaten so many times elsewhere. The fact is unlimited just doesn't exist and most (not all) are run by scam companies who cut you off when you hit a certain limit.

This topic has been beaten so many times elsewhere. The fact is unlimited just doesn't exist and most (not all) are run by scam companies who cut you off when you hit a certain limit.

As you can see there is evidence to prove you and others wrong, two people from hostgator have not had the problem you and others state. What people don't like doing is reading there terms, then when there limits on the terms are reached and there account canceled people moan and complain.

If people would just read then they would not be at risk of losing there accounts or going over there limits. Hostgator and the others mentioned are not a scam they just have very good terms and conditions. That is what covers them form the novice clients who are new to the hosting world.

As for your comment "This topic has been beaten so many times elsewhere." It's not a battle, its called a discussion and expressing an opinion. What I noticed is when some one finds a unlimited host who lives up to the word unlimited, a hosting company that do not have the money/resources to fund unlimited resources hate it and there backs get up.

I don't run unlimited hosting but I run hosting that meets the needs of the site for dolphin and osdate clients. And its simple when i see my hard drive space getting full i have an alert system where when it gets to 70% full i buy more hard drives. It don't take a genius to work out how to provide unlimited resources.

Yes this discussion has been on so many other sites before but there are also like me and the other hostgator client who speak up for companys who do provide unlimited and succeed in do it with hundreds of clients.

And to you question is anything unlimited in the world. Yes there is.

When i signed up for hostgator a few years back for my shared hosting, i said to them how can you give unlimited hosting and what if the hard drive becomes full?

There answer was, we will buy the extra hardware needed to keep your account unlimited.

And when my 110GB when i first started the current hard drive I was on was full and they kept to there promise they moved me to a hard drive with the space required. Then when my site got to 230GB i moved it over to my own hosting company.

Also I provide unlimited support with our OSDate clients script. As well as dolphin script. This means upgrades, mods, plugins and more. Are you trying to tell me I am a scam for providing my free time to clients to provide them with my unlimited support?

The answer should be no, due to the fact I don't even charge for the support of the scripts as its free with the packages.

The main issue with those unlimited hosts is that there are a few good well know ones and many crappy ones. That is why it's prohibited to advertise unlimited hosting.

Sure some big companies can afford to add resources as the needs grow but reality is that most are limited by monetary constraints and eventually cancel accounts with high disk usage over some draconian terms-of-service.

There will never be real unlimited since there's always a limit whether you see from a technical (disk space) or a monetary point of view.

Another point is that, in my opinion, people on this forum are mostly looking for personalized hosts that are able to see their customers as clients and not as cash-cows like most of the bigger companies; and that are able to dedicate time to customers to talk about current and future needs; something that most (if not all) big companies would never do.

As for your comment "This topic has been beaten so many times elsewhere." It's not a battle, its called a discussion and expressing an opinion. What I noticed is when some one finds a unlimited host who lives up to the word unlimited, a hosting company that do not have the money/resources to fund unlimited resources hate it and there backs get up.

I am aware of that fact thank you. I was just stating the fact.

I don't run unlimited hosting but I run hosting that meets the needs of the site for dolphin and osdate clients. And its simple when i see my hard drive space getting full i have an alert system where when it gets to 70% full i buy more hard drives. It don't take a genius to work out how to provide unlimited resources.

Are most of these companies ready to add a new hard-drive for a $5 a month client?

And to you question is anything unlimited in the world. Yes there is.

:confused4 There isn't unlimited oil or material to make hard drives.

Also I provide unlimited support with our OSDate clients script. As well as dolphin script. This means upgrades, mods, plugins and more. Are you trying to tell me I am a scam for providing my free time to clients to provide them with my unlimited support?

Nobody is picking holes with your company. No need to be so defensive. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm just saying if you gained more customers and they started using your webhost as a file host. Uploading backups of their hard-drives and using terabytes of data how will you find that sustainable? Surely the cost of upgrading will outweigh the cost of the customer :confused4

Its not simple adding just another hard drive to a server. There are technical constraints too.

Sure some big companies can afford to add resources as the needs grow but reality is that most are limited by monetary constraints and eventually cancel accounts with high disk usage over some draconian terms-of-service.

There will never be real unlimited since there's always a limit whether you see from a technical (disk space) or a monetary point of view.

My point exactly :)

I am aware of that fact thank you. I was just stating the fact.

Are most of these companies ready to add a new hard-drive for a $5 a month client?

:confused4 There isn't unlimited oil or material to make hard drives.

Nobody is picking holes with your company. No need to be so defensive. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm just saying if you gained more customers and they started using your webhost as a file host. Uploading backups of their hard-drives and using terabytes of data how will you find that sustainable? Surely the cost of upgrading will outweigh the cost of the customer :confused4

Its not simple adding just another hard drive to a server. There are technical constraints too.

My point exactly :)

No there is not unlimited oil so what do we do as a world we turn to another resource gas or electric to suit our needs there will always be some way around the lack of a resource we have proven that already.

And I do not allow file hosting or host backups from there hard drives its in my terms. So when they do that they will be closed. If they use there account for what is there for then they can use as much space as they like when it comes to Dolphin and OSDate plans. These are the only plans that allow as much space as required. and it states very clearly

"* Disk Space may not be used for the storage of your own personal media. Any media uploaded by your Dolphin members is allowed as it is considered what is needed for your Dolphin site to operate.
*Bandwidth may not be used for any accounts other than your Dolphin Installs account. Any bandwidth used by your members or site in general is allowed as it is considered what your site needs to operate."

If people ignore this then they can not complain that there accounts get closed, but so far touch wood. All my clients abide by the terms of these plans.

When it comes to shared hosting I don't have unlimited plans, and I am not sure if i want to commit unlimited to my other plans. The only reason why I have as much as you need on my dolphin and osdate plans is due to the fact there social networking sites, and its easier for the client to be about to ask for extra space/bandwidth for free when there account starts to reach there limit.

Every company have there servers setup different but as long as you know what you are doing adding another hard drive is easy.

And the simple fact is no matter if you give unlimited or not you will have to upgrade the more clients you get the more you will have to upgrade unless you stop taking sign ups and it don't look good when a company can not upgrade there servers to be able to host more clients, and if I was looking for a host and host turned around and said we are not accepting any more clients i would not host with them at all.

If one of my £2 clients needed extra space and i needed to buy another hard drive i would due to the simple face if its not that client needing extra space it would be another. And if I do not i would lose clients and still be able to accept clients i need to upgrade.

Last edited:
The main issue with those unlimited hosts is that there are a few good well know ones and many crappy ones. That is why it's prohibited to advertise unlimited hosting.

Another point is that, in my opinion, people on this forum are mostly looking for personalized hosts that are able to see their customers as clients and not as cash-cows like most of the bigger companies; and that are able to dedicate time to customers to talk about current and future needs; something that most (if not all) big companies would never do.

Yet again it comes down to researching the company your going for. Before running my own hosting company I researched hostgator and was happy with their terms and never had an issue with them.

Also hostgator when it come to "talk about current and future needs" they was every happy to speak to me. That is one of the reasons why if any one was looking for unlimited shared hosting i would highly recommend hostgator.

....Do it. If it was truly unlimited, I'll get an account, and I'll use it. And then when you suspend my account for some bull---- reason, I'll sue you.

There was a guy somewhere once offering unlimited hosting... So someone bought it, and filled it up with as much crap as he could find. He got to 230gb before the error messages started kicking in.

Hostgator can do it because of their size. If you aren't that big, and you only have a couple servers, It will end badly.

....Do it. If it was truly unlimited, I'll get an account, and I'll use it. And then when you suspend my account for some bull---- reason, I'll sue you.

There was a guy somewhere once offering unlimited hosting... So someone bought it, and filled it up with as much crap as he could find. He got to 230gb before the error messages started kicking in.

Hostgator can do it because of their size. If you aren't that big, and you only have a couple servers, It will end badly.

LMAO You can only sue if they suspend your account for any reasons not in the Terms. Like I said people never read the terms and when there accounts are suspended due to the t&C not being followed then there is no way you can sue.

Like I said mine is not unlimited but i have specialized plans for social networking hosting, where we will update you account with extra space when needed not before. Also states very clearly that the only files to be held on the account is connected to your social networking site. If clients don't abide by the terms of the products then they only have them self to blame when there account gets suspended. So far my OSDate and Dolphin plans are doing very very well. No complaints, no failure to follow to the terms of the packages and they have revived extra space as needed with out hassle and i have upgraded my hardware 4 times with no issues or problems.

This client here has my Dolphin hosting and as you can see he is very happy with the service I provide.

http://www.pchosting.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Personally the only thing you need to have to be able to provide unlimited type of service is the funds. It's like that good old say money makes to world go around, and if you have the money you can have any thing you want.

As for the guy who "filled it up with as much crap as he could find" then that is his look out. I have said me and others have been host with hostgator and got up to over 230GB never once had one downtime or one problem due to the amount of space i was using.

Out of all my clients the one using most space is 462GB ok it might not be under my dolphin or osdate hosting plans where you can have as much as your site needs and his on my shared hosting but it's not causing me any problems. He pays for every bit of space he uses and i never receive any complaints from him.

I will never stop any accounts for the amount of space being used, like I said the only plans that allow as much space as needed are subject to terms. And the terms are not unreasonable and if they do want to host any thing else on there account I will be more then happy to transfer them to shared hosting to allow them to do so.

PCHosting,

I see you are UK based, is that correct? If so, your website is breaking the Distance Selling Regulations as you have no business address on your website. Are you a Limited company or a sole trader or are you just a school boy bedroom host flouting the law?

On the subject of "unlimited" hosting - you say most "unlimited" web hosts have it in their terms and conditions that you are not allowed to host files, only web pages. Well if that is the case who needs "unlimited" space to host static html pages?? I'd soon rather pay a proper host for reasonable non-oversold resources where I'd actually be allowed to host my photo collections, large database files and other files without the risk of being suspended for "abuse".

there is no really no unlimited hosting plan. the webspace and addons maybe unlimited. but their cpu and memory usage must be limited

there is no really no unlimited hosting plan. the webspace and addons maybe unlimited. but their cpu and memory usage must be limited

Addons: fine they can be unlimited, they still rely on the diskspace and transfer. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100 databases, as long as the data stays bellow your disk space quota, there's no issues

Webspace: as said before, it cannot be unlimited. It relies on tangible media thus has a limit

CPU and memory is usually not an issue for most shared users (especially if confined to static and dynamic
PHP:
 web pages)

Well, as you've just seen how long this thread can get just by explaining to users like you why the term 'unlimited' in HostGator, and bigger companies, exist.

They use the term 'unlimited' in a general field. They obviously don't literally mean 'unlimited' as in, i've got a 1TB HDD, but i'm going to let you use 200TB for your site. Unlimited to them, is Hardware Upgrade. When they notice their User Usage is about to hit the max. their Servers can handle, they upgrade their hardware, buy more bandwidth, and resources altogether. This is a simple logic which I hope you, and others lurking around would be able to accept, and understand.

Like mentioned earlier, the term 'unlimited' is only usable with Bigger Companies, eg. HostGator. Yes, you may call small-time companies that offer 'Unlimited' hosting, 'Scams', but you definitely cannot call Companies like CWahi, HostGator - 'Scams' , as they definitely know what they are doing, and offering to their Users.

I've just spent a good 45minutes reading through the whole TOS of HostGator, and putting together a little summary of what you can, and can't do on HostGator Accounts. This is in .pdf Format. If you want this, PM me for it.

Regards,
Bobby

Back